Wednesday 5 March 2014

Lessons from The Norge



Lessons from The Norge:

  • These trips are expensive whichever way you shake it. Even more so when you drive 2300km.
  • I love ice climbing and also hate ice climbing. Mostly I love it. Even when it feels like I hate it.
  • I can climb to a decent level without ever doing any rock climbing, not that I want to.
  • I am starting to think WI5 is not that hard – I must find a WI6 next year.
  • The Ice Training Rig works (although it doesn’t train one’s calves).
  • One should take spare crampon parts.
  • I am now very good at abalakov threads – first time, every time.
  • I like pesto pasta, or at least used to. I love whisky.
  • Norwegian speed limits really are very low.
  • I have climbed in North Norway, Canada, Rjukan and Cogne – the potential of the area we went this year is literally unparalleled.
  • Fjords are really deep. And full of starfish.

Good admin is important

 Attention now turns to the next thing, whatever that may be.  I have a half marathon on Sunday. My training will consist of four 3.7 mile runs.  After that, well, I’d like the next challenge to be climbing related but it is going to take a hell of an effort just to get back to where I was, let alone improve.  I am fairly psyched to stay (or get) fit though, which is good.

In other news, Willow stealth attacked Holly with an outstretched finger this morning, causing a nose bleed. We may have a job integrating this one into a civilised society.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment